Our Chai Masala makes it super simple to make a wildly delicious cup of chai - the kind of our Indian-roadside-tea-stall dreams!
Makes 2 servings.
1. Bring 16 oz. fresh water to a boil.
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon Chai Masala to water and boil for 1 minute.
3. Add 1.5 teaspoons of loose black tea, or one black tea bag, to water. Boil for an additional minute or to desired tea strength. For a stronger tea, add an additional teaspoon of loose tea or another tea bag.
4. Add your milk of choice until the tea is a nice light caramel color (we use 1.5 tbsp. organic whole milk) and bring chai back to a boil. Boil for 30 seconds and remove from heat.
5. Strain into a teapot or cups (we recommend removing tea bags, if using, prior to straining).
6. Sweeten to taste with your sweetener of choice (we like 1/2 teaspoon of turbinado sugar per cup).
There are an abundance of amazing black teas out there, but we like using loose leaf tea from Assam. Alaya Tea has a delicious Assamese black tea that is organic and sourced from biodynamic farms. Yorkshire Gold is our choice for black tea bags. Feel free to shoot us an email if you have any questions on tea! We have tried MANY of them!
Alternatively, Chai Masala can be used directly in your cup. Add 1/4 tsp. Chai Masala to your cup with black tea and sweetener, pour boiling water over it and brew for 3 minutes. Add your milk of choice until you get a nice, light caramel color. This is actually our family's preferred method for making chai!