Few things beat a classic, simple Italian marinara - but our amped up version with our Garam Masala and a tiny splash of cream gets close! The warm spices in the Garam Masala give the marinara a light-ragú quality that adds a bit of richness to the pasta and pairs perfectly with a glass of Barolo.
1 lb. cooked pasta
2 tbsp. good quality 100% extra-virgin olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 28-oz. can of San Marzano or Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
1/4 tsp. Down the Road Spice Co. Garam Masala
3-4 basil leaves
2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1. In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the garlic and swirl for 30 seconds, taking care that the garlic doesn't burn.
2. Add tomatoes and crush with a wooden spoon if they were whole.
3. Add red chili flakes and Garam Masala - stir to combine.
4. Add basil, stir to combine and cover pot with lid. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Once sauce is ready, remove basil, add cream, simmer for another 4-5 minutes and toss with your pasta of choice. Garnish with additional basil and/or parmesan and serve.